Tuesday, May 15, 2007

You know you're not a student anymore when....

...you spend $40 on an air freshener.



And the refills cost $24! But wait, it's not just any air freshener, it's a "Lampe Berger."

Go ahead do a search. Check out http://www.firelight.ca/Lampe-Berger-Information-p-5.html

Actually, I've been scoffing at these things for awhile now, mostly out of ignorance. I've seen them in the shops on 4th ave and in Steveston, where I bought mine. I thought they were ridiculous, and ugly, and who would ever buy something like that for their home... It's a gigantic overly decorated perfume bottle. I really didn't know what they were. At one point I had decided they were just that - gigantic perfume bottles with no purpose whatsoever. So me and my friend Andrea were walking around Steveston and head into one of my favorite shops, The Monkey Tree, and as we're browsing (that's right, just supposed to be browsing), we come across the display of overly priced gigantic perfume bottles and immediately start making fun of them, in true Andrea fashion. I guess the lady running the store heard us because all of a sudden she comes over and starts explaining that they're all the rage, and they've been around for over a hundred years and people in Europe use them all the time and they're just starting to become popular in North America. Well, of course, learning about a trend before it's a trend piqued my interest. She began to explain the antibacterial and deodorizing properties of these things and did a demo for us. Wow, the aroma! It was so cool! She told us it actually gets rid of odors and doesn't just mask them, and it will cleanse the air. Her husbands uses one when he's in the bathroom, and when she goes in after him, the scent is breathtaking! Imagine that!

So, of course we each bought one after spending over 30 minutes sniffing the different scents several times over. And get this, I bought the cheapest bottle! That's why it's clear and you're probably not thinking much of it. But seriously, there was one there for a THOUSAND dollars! It was called Hot Love, and if I were a richer woman I might have actually bought it. The average price is about $100 and they're all like little works of art. My apartment smells good, but most of all it's fun to light, and blow out. What have I gotten myself into?

2 comments:

Jamiedelweiss said...

However good it smells; I don't know if it could mask some odors left behind in bathrooms. Like mine for instance. ~ Steveston Rocks for little shops though - I like Mikasa
from,
James

Rhonda said...

Um, James, I think it's "Nikaido."