Monday, January 8, 2007

1st Day of Work

Well, I started my new job, as an "RN" today. I'm actually not an RN yet but it was nice to see "RN" on my "hi my name is..." namebadge. I was going to take a picture of myself leaving for work but decided it would take too much time as I would have to do it myself, and I was rushed as I had to leave at 7:15am (which I haven't had to do for a while now - it was hard - ugh). Maybe I'll take a picture when I go in my uniform. A picture - you know like your parents used to take when you went off to your first day of school?

Today was just general orientation with all new staff to the health authority. I was nicely surprised to see 5 of my fellow classmates there too! We're all getting scooped up quickly! So the day wasn't too bad with all 6 of us sitting together, and some of the speakers were funny which kept us awake. AND, we got a free lunch [just sandwiches and juice, but it was free which to a recently former student is greatly appreciated, especially as it was food that I didn't have to buy or cook for myself]. It was also nice to hear about the values of the health authority. They explained how it was started by the Sisters of Providence and how the organization's values that exist today are based on the values of the Catholic faith. Even "Jesus Christ" is mentioned in their mission statement. It's interesting to hear because the medical system often dismisses spirituality of any kind, except as an acceptable adjunct to treatment that isn't taken seriously by professionals; it is never a prescription. Anyway, so I have a full week left of orientation and then I guess I start the real orientation on the unit itself, where I have to dress in my scrubs and try to act like I understand what's happening. At least I'm getting paid now, and no more schoolwork (except for the RN exam which I now write in less than a month and I haven't started studying yet). Yikes.

To be honest, change is hard for me. I tend to get down and anxious about it and have high expectations for myself to be perfect. Sometimes I wish I could just have a simple life where I'd live on a big piece of land and do crafts all day (does anyone remember that movie "Baby Boom" where Diane Keaton inherits a baby and moves to the country and ends up making millions off of her home made apple sauce?) Well, I wish that could be me. But my mom told me tonight about a line from the movie "Parenthood" that she watched "for the first time." I'm sure she's seen it before as I've seen it many times during my adolescence, but I decided it wasn't worth arguing over. The old grandma says to stressed out Steve Martin, "Life is like a rollercoaster. There are ups and there are downs. But I'd rather ride a rollercoaster all my life than a merri-go-round" (or something to that effect). And it's true. Life would be boring if we just did the same old thing all the time and never had any real excitement. So I have to force myself to get on that rollercoaster and ride up that first slow, big, noisy hill and head on down over the edge. I really don't want to, but I'm already stuck in line.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Congrats on your first day!!! Hurray for you! You felt the fear and did it anyway! I'm so happy for you. I want to see some pictures! What a journey you've been on.... wise mom you've got there. Weren't we just talking about "Parenthood"? I love that movie!!!
Bravo Rhonda, Bravo!!!!