Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The countdown begins....


I turned 29 years old the other day. I can't believe it. At all. So that means I now have less than a year before I turn 30. But it's not all bad. I'm actually quite excited to see what happens in my life from now on. (But I am disappointed that it's happening at so late an age. Why couldn't I have done this when I was younger?)
I just finished nursing school in December and I am in my second week of work in a specialty unit at a hospital downtown. Supposedly, the world is now my oyster. Working downtown is exciting. It seems like everyone's got style. Walking down the sidewalks I see people with cool sneakers, cute coats with matching hats, and attitude (pleasant, don't get me wrong, the kind of attitude I'd like to develop for myself). When I sit in the cafeteria I can see the ocean, and today when I was being taught by the educator I looked out and saw the big freight ships anchored out there and the sun reflecting off the water as it rose. It was beautiful. Today my self confidence also increased a bit. I'm being oriented with this woman from the UK who has something like 14 years of nursing experience. And she was more nervous than I was! Maybe it's cause I'm used to being observed and not knowing what I'm doing, but she was a nervous wreck and I had to tell her it would all be okay. It was strange to be on the other side as I am usually the insecure one. But I do understand that her situation is kind of different than mine, as she is expected to know stuff, and I am not (I can still hide behind the new grad label). So I do feel for her as well. Anyways, back to my birthday, because as Luke put it about himself, "it's all about me" (2007, email invitation to cypress mountain).
Last Saturday my parents came over and we went to see the Bodyworlds exhibit together and then they took me out for lunch. Then on Sunday night a few of my girlfriends and I went to Cactus Club for dinner. It turned out great. I'll put a few pics below. I appreciate them all so much, and each for very unique reasons. Thanks gals! And on my actual birthday Andra made me the most delicious dinner with candles and wine. It was great! Maybe one year it'll be a guy sitting across from me. No offense Andra, I know you feel the same way. Thanks also to my long lost but never forgotten friends who I don't talk to very often but who I carry in my heart every day, for remembering me (Teresa and Violetta). It turned out to be a great 29th birthday. Onward and upward.


The 6 of us


Lindsey, in all her photogenic fabulousness

Lindsey, Me and Katherine


Brenda, Amanda, and Kyla

My beautiful roses - thanks Katherine!



3 comments:

Hillary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hillary said...

Rhonda! I wondered if you were the Rhonda I thought you were! I knew you from Kawkawa!

Anyway, happy (albeit belated) birthday! :D

Brad and Samantha said...

Happy Belated birthday Rhonda! Glad to hear that work is going well for you. Looks like you had a fun b-day!
Love,
Brad and Sam:)